Summer Squash and Corn with Creamed Goat Cheese and Orange Zest
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 large zucchini
2 medium squash
2 ears of corn
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 ounces goat cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or just a pinch if you prefer less heat)
zest of 1 orange
- Begin to prep your vegetables: dice the red onion, cut the summer squash into halves and then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook the red onion until softened, but do not brown (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Add the summer squash and salt the cooking vegetables. Cook until softened (about 10-15 minutes).
- While onions and squash are cooking remove the corn from the cobb and measure out the cream, vinegar and goat cheese.
- Once vegetables are softened, and at a texture that you prefer, lower the heat to medium-low. Add the cream, goat cheese, red wine vinegar and cayenne pepper to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Taste the mixture and add salt if necessary. Be sure not to bring the mixture to a heavy boil.
- Add the corn to the mixture and zest the orange on top of the simmering mixture. Stir to combine and heat through for a few minutes. Salt to taste and serve warm.