1 stick butter
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (buttermilk substitution: combine 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tsp of vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, eggs and buttermilk.
- Melt the butter in an 8-inch round cast-iron skillet in the oven until melted. Remove the skillet from the oven once the butter is melted (but not browned)
- Add the melted butter and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the hot cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.