Savory Cornbread Pudding with Leeks, Bacon and Sage
2 leeks (white parts only), halved and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups bacon (about 5 strips), cut into 1-inch pieces
4 cups cornbread (use this cornbread recipe or a preferred cornbread recipe), cut into bite-sized pieces
8-10 sage leaves, chopped
Rosemary leaves from 1 sprig, chopped
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or a combination of your favorite strong cheeses)
zest of 1 lemon
- Place the leeks and bacon into a medium-sized saute pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cornbread into a greased 9×12 baking dish and set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl. Lightly beat the eggs and then add the milk, cream, lemon zest, mustard, salt, herbs and cheese into the bowl.
- Add the bacon and leeks to the bread mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour the custard over the bread mixture and mix well.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the eggs are cooked through. Serve warm with a summer fresh tomato salad.