Author note: Dry mustard and thyme are lovely additions to roasted cauliflower. If you are looking for a healthier option, omit the toasted breadcrumbs. The cauliflower alone is still very enjoyable.
For the cauliflower:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 head cauliflower, cut into florettes
For the breadcrumbs:
3 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup chopped pancetta (about two thick slices)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 cups panko breadcrumbs
zest of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 415 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, mustard and thyme. Stir well.
- Then, add the cauliflower to the olive oil mixture. Make sure to coat the cauliflower well.
- In one layer, evenly spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, gently stir the cauliflower to move the pieces around to make sure they brown evenly. Continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes (or until nicely browned).
- Meanwhile, place the butter and pancetta in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, about five minutes.
- Next, lower the heat to medium-low and add the breadcrumbs. Continue to cook until the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Remove from the heat and add the garlic and lemon zest. Stir well and set aside.
- Combine the cauliflower and breadcrumbs into a serving bowl and stir well. Serve warm.