Peppermint Panna Cotta
4 cups heavy cream (1 quart)
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon gelatin (a little less than two packages)
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
crushed peppermints, for topping
dark chocolate chips, for topping
- Pour the cream into a large pan. Then, sprinkle the gelatin on top of the cream. Do not stir. Let it dissolve for 10 minutes.
- Next, place the pan on the stove-top and turn the heat to medium. Begin to stir the mixture.
- Once the cream is warm, add the sugar and peppermint extract. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Continually stir the cream until the gelatin dissolves completely. It will look clumpy at first, but do not fear. Continue to stir until the cream is smooth.
- Pour the cooked cream into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate at least six hours before serving.
- Once the panna cotta is set, serve cold and top with crushed peppermints or dark chocolate chips.