Seared Scallops with White Wine Lemon Pan Sauce
Author note: Scallops do not take long to cook. However, in order to achieve a good brown sear on the scallop, they should be patted dry before cooking and the pan must be extremely hot.
6-8 large sea scallops
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup dry white wine
juice of half a lemon
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over high heat.
- Pat the scallops dry and season with salt.
- Once the skillet is very hot, add the scallops. Cook for 1 ½ minutes on one side. Turn the scallops over and cook for an additional 1 ½ minutes.
- Remove the scallops to a plate and turn the heat down to medium-high. Add the wine and scrape up all the bits. Let it reduce for one minute.
- Next, add the lemon juice and continue to reduce the sauce by half.
- Place the scallops on top of browned butter, celery and leek pea puree (click here for recipe) drizzle the scallops with the pan sauce and top with breadcrumb gremolata (click here for recipe). Serve immediately.