Brown Sugar, Olive Oil and Red Wine Roasted Pears
Author note: These pears are delicious as a salty and sweet dessert or, when sliced, as a nice salad topper.
½ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons dry red wine
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch kosher salt
3 Bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored
Pecorino Romano, sliced into thin bite-sized pieces
kosher salt, for topping
honey, for topping
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, olive oil, wine, vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Stir well to combine
- Once the pears are peeled, halved and cored, rub the exposed flesh with the lemon half. This is to prevent browning.
- Add the pears to the sugar mixture and thoroughly coat the pears.
- Place the pears in a baking dish and pour half of the brown sugar mixture over the pears. Reserve the other half for after roasting.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Place the pears back into the sugar mixture and coat well. Remove the pears, top with a sprinkling of kosher salt, drizzles of honey and Pecorino. Serve warm.