Browned Butter and Bourbon Candied Walnuts
Author note: These walnuts are perfect to eat by themselves or to top treats such as ice cream, cinnamon rolls, cakes or muffins
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons bourbon
¼ cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- In a medium sized skillet heat the butter on medium for about 10 minutes, or until it is nicely browned.
- Next, add the bourbon, water, brown sugar, vanilla and salt to the skillet. Bring to a boil and reduce for about two minutes.
- Finally, add the chopped walnuts and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the syrup is thickened and coats the walnuts.
- Cook for an additional two minutes, stirring frequently. This cooks the walnuts to achieve a crunchy texture.
- Spread the candied walnuts in one layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Let the walnuts air dry for at least four hours before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.