Salty Crispy Chicken with Balsamic-Roasted Vegetables
Author note: This recipe is the perfect weeknight meal because it takes about 20 minutes to prep and 40 minutes to cook. Bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts are mandatory for this recipe. The cook time allows for properly cooked bone-in chicken breasts and the vegetables are flavored with the drippings from the chicken skin. This recipe was not designed for boneless skinless chicken breast and will not yield the proper results with it. If you desire just the salty crispy chicken, omit the vegetables, cook as instructed and serve with chopped parsley on top.
For the chicken:
4 bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 teaspoons kosher salt
For the vegetables:
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 red or yellow onion, cut into eighths
1 1/2 cups fingerling potatoes
1 pound Brussels sprouts, ends removed and halved
1 lemon, quartered
- Thirty minutes before roasting, remove the chicken from the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the balsamic vinegar, salt and thyme. Stir well to combine. Then add the oil to the vinegar mixture.
- Add the onion, potatoes, Brussels sprouts and lemon into the balsamic olive oil mixture.
- Separate the skin from the chicken, while still keeping the skin attached to the meat. Evenly distribute half of the salt onto the 4 chicken breasts, under the skin. Place the skin back over the meat.
- Evenly coat the chicken breasts with the olive oil and season the chicken with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Spread the vegetables evenly onto a large, foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Take 2 cooling racks and place them over the vegetables. Put the chicken breasts on the cooling rack and cook for 33 minutes (or until the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees).
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place onto a platter and cover with foil. Let the vegetables continue to roast for an additional 5 to 10 minutes while the chicken rests.
- Spoon the vegetables onto the platter and pour the drippings over the vegetables. Serve warm with the chicken.