Cornmeal Chicken Pepper Soup
Author note: The addition of cornmeal makes this soup heartier than your average soup. While this soup may appear to be spicy, it has only a low heat element. This soup is a perfect make-ahead meal because it reheats nicely. If you prefer a meatless soup, omit the chicken and top with a runny egg.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 jalapeno or serrano, seeded and quartered
1 garlic clove, quartered
1 4 ounce can hatch green chiles
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 green bell pepper, seeded and quarted
2 red bell peppers, seeded
1 14 ounce can unsalted diced tomatoes
2 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 bay leaf
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2/3 cup cornmeal
3 cups roasted chicken, shredded and chopped (click here for recipe)
cilantro, chopped, for topping
plain yogurt, sour cream or spicy lime sour cream (click here for recipe), for topping
lime wedges, for topping
- Place the olive oil in a large pan and bring to medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor puree the jalapeno (or serrano), garlic, green chiles, onion, green bell pepper and 1 quartered red bell pepper.
- Add the pureed vegetables to the heated oil and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, seed and dice the remaining red bell pepper.
- Add the diced bell pepper to the pureed vegetables and cook until tender (about 3 minutes)
- Next add the tomatoes, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder and bay leaf to the pureed vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup to a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal into the hot soup, whisk well.
- Slowly whisk the cornmeal mixture back into the soup. Whisk the soup until the soup is smooth and there are no cornmeal clumps.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the cornmeal from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- With 10 minutes remaining, place the shredded chicken into the soup and heat through.
- Top with cilantro, sour cream and spritz of fresh lime juice. Serve warm.