Time to start thinking about what to feed yourself and others next week. Be daring this week and tackle this menu with these new recipes.
Before getting started, here are a few notes for this week’s menu:
- This menu is designed to allow you to pick and choose what fits the needs of your family. Feel free to use the entire plan, or select a few options.
- White wine is required for two recipes this week. Purchase the small pack of four 10 oz bottles. Go with a pinot grigio or chardonnay.
- Make sure to have freezer friendly containers to freeze at least half of the bolognese.
- Bolognese is a perfect freezer meal. Double the recipe on Sunday if a more stocked freezer is desired.
- The bologonese calls for ground veal and ground pancetta. I subsitute these ingredients with ground beef (the fatty kind) and bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- The slow cooker chicken with 40 cloves of garlic is one of my most favorite and comforting go-to recipes. However, I omit the olives and capers and use dry sherry instead of sweet. Also, I only use chicken thighs, no drumsticks.
- Saffron can be expensive. Feel free to omit this ingredient in the chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, but keep in mind the meal will not be as flavorful and rich without it. Replacing it with dried thyme would also work.
- Have fun!
Sunday Dinner: ragu bolognese with pasta and crusty bread
Monday Breakfast: chive and cheese frittata (leftovers for Tuesday lunch)
Monday Dinner: bolognese open faced sandwich with a runny egg and Parmesan on top (make sure to toast the bread)
Tuesday Lunch: arugula and frittata salad with chopped shallots, olive oil and red wine vinegar
Friday Dinner: chicken and arugula sandwiches with dijon, mozzarella and hot sauce serve with frozen french fries (Alexia crinkle fries are my favorite!)
Saturday Dinner: take-out