Oven-Baked Duck Fat French Fries
Author note: These fries are easily addictive. They are easy to make and the flavor is outstanding. Duck fat can be purchased at specialty stores like Williams Sonoma and Sur la Table. Smaller local markets also carry duck fat, however call before going to make sure it is in stock. The cooking time on these fries are dependent upon the size of them. If you prefer skinny thin fries, cook for a shorter amount of time. If you prefer fat thick fries, the cooking time may be longer.
2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon duck fat
8 cups Yukon Gold potatoes
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the duck fat in a large bowl and set aside.
- Fill a large pan full of water and bring to a boil.
- Peel the potatoes and slice into 1/2 inch thick, 1/2 inch wide, 3-4 inch long French fries.
- Once the water is at a rolling boil, add 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and add the potatoes.
- Cook for 1 ½ minutes and drain.
- Add the potatoes and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt to the duck fat. Stir well to coat the potatoes with the fat and salt.
- Place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 35-38 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or until the fries are cooked to the desired golden color. Serve warm.