Oven Baked Rice and Sausage Stuffed Kale Leaves
Author note: Check out this pleasant little lesson on how to stuff kale leaves (click here for link) before making this recipe.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/3 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 pound Italian sausage
3/4 cup cooked rice
2 bunches kale leaves
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the mixture. Stir well to combine and coat the rice. Set the skillet aside.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Working in groups, blanch the kale for 1 1/2 minutes and then immediately place in the ice water to cool, around 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the water and place on a paper towel lined plate. Continue this process until all the kale has been blanched and cooled.
- Destem each kale leaf by folding each leaf in half with the stem side facing out (hot dog style). Turn the leaf so that the thick stem is facing towards you. With a knife cut from the base of the leaf to about 2 inches from the end. Separate the leaf from the stem. You should be left with a large leaf with a V-shaped piece missing.
- Place a small spoonful of rice and sausage on the bottom center of the leaf (at the base of the ‘V’). Roll the leaf over the mixture, while folding in the sides of the leaf and adjusting the leaf to make sure the mixture is fully covered while rolling. Continue this process until the leaf is completely rolled and stuffed.
- Place the stuffed kale leaves seam side down in an oven safe baking dish. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve warm.