Kohlrabi and Potato Manchego Gratin
Author note: Not familiar with kohlrabi? Click here and find out more.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 rosemary sprig
4 cups kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced (with a mandolin or by hand)
4 cups Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (with a mandolin or by hand)
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups shredded manchego
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cream, garlic and rosemary into a small saucepan. Heat on low for 15 minutes.
- Grease a 9X13 baking dish with the butter.
- Place the sliced kohlrabi and potatoes into a large bowl. Pour the cream over the potatoes. Stir well to coat.
- Take a few spoonfuls of the cream and place it on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Remove the kohlrabi and potatoes from the cream and lay in overlapping layers until the bottom of the dish is covered. Sprinkle with salt and then with a handful of cheese. Continue this process until all the vegetables are used and 1/2 cup of manchego remains.
- Using your hands press down on the gratin to compress the layers. Pour 1/2 the cream over the gratin. Press down once more and pour the remaining cream onto the gratin.
- Top with the remaining 1/2 cup manchego.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Lightly cover the gratin with foil if the top is browning too quickly.
- Serve warm.