Seared Radicchio and Arugula Salad
4 cups arugula, lightly chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups radicchio, thinly sliced (about 1 head)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
juice 1 lemon (and more for topping)
3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (and more for topping)
- Place the arugula and in a large serving bowl.
- In a medium skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the radicchio and salt, sear for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Pour the radicchio over the arugula. Set the skillet aside.
- Decrease the heat to low. Off of the stove, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Place the skillet back on the stovetop and heat for 1 minute, stirring once or twice.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the balsamic and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the balsamic reduction over the radicchio and arugula. Add the onions, cheese and lemon zest and then toss well to combine.
- Serve warm topped with parmesan cheese and lemon juice.