Lemon Orzo Egg Soup
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1/4 of an onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup orzo
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
freshly chopped parsley leaves, for topping
- Bring the chicken stock, water, onion, garlic and bay leaves to a boil. Add the orzo.
- Cook until the orzo is soft and tender, about 8-9 minutes. Remove the onion and bay leaves. Turn the heat off and remove 1 cup of hot stock.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the 1 cup of hot stock to the eggs, a quarter cup at a time. Be sure to quickly stir the eggs while pouring in the hot liquid to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Continue this process until the eggs are warmed through.
- Add the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice into the orzo soup. Stir until melted.
- Slowly add the tempered eggs to the soup, stirring the soup constantly while the egg mixture is being incorporated into the soup.
- Add the cheese and stir well.
- Serve warm topped with freshly chopped parsley leaves.