Shrimp and Leek Bread Soup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic gloves, rough chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced leeks
2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 cups stale bread, crust removed and cut into 1 inch squares
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup white wine
1 15 ounce can fish stock
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
1/4 teaspoon oregano
zest of 1 lemon
fresh thyme, for topping
- In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks, garlic and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the leeks are softened.
- Add the bread and paprika. Stir well to coat. Cook until the bread is lightly toasted, stirring occasionally to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the wine, stocks and red pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the shrimp, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well to combine.
- Add the shrimp and the lemon zest to the soup and let it cook through, about 4 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh thyme leaves.