Katherine's Macaroni and Cheese
2 cups dry macaroni
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
1 1/2 cups shredded manchego cheese
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Boil the macaroni, strain and set aside.
- In the same pan that the noodles were cooked in, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk. Continue to whisk until the flour has turned a light golden color, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cheese, crème fraiche and salt. Place the cooked macaroni into the cheese mixture. Stir to combine. Serve warm.
Please note that there are no measurements on these toppings. The amount is dependent on personal preference and how much macaroni is being topped.
Cherry Tomatoes and Basil
Slice cherry tomatoes and rough chop basil leaves. Combine with the warm macaroni and cheese. Serve warm.
Hatch Green Chiles and Bacon
Combine chopped cooked bacon and canned Hatch green chiles (or freshly roasted, peeled and chopped chiles) with the warm macaroni and cheese. Stir well. Serve warm.