Hatch Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Author note: There is nothing fancy about this recipe. Feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer. If limited on time, a shredded cheese blend works wonderfully and makes for an even quicker meal. I warm my milk for about 3 minutes in a measuring cup in the microwave. The amount of green chiles and bacon used is up to you.
2 cups dry macaroni
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed
1 1/2 cups shredded manchego cheese
2 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup Hatch green chiles (or more to taste)
cooked bacon, chopped
- Boil the macaroni, strain and set aside.
- In the same pan that the noodles were cooked in, add the butter and melt over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk. Continue to whisk until the flour has turned a light golden color, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the milk, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cheese, crème fraiche and salt. Place the cooked macaroni, green chiles and bacon into the cheese mixture. Stir to combine. Serve warm.