Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes
3 1/2 tablespoons duck fat
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
28 ounces (or 2 lbs) Tasteful Selections Honey Gold Potatoes
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to cover the potatoes. Place on the stovetop. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the duck fat, rosemary, thyme and salt. Set aside.
- Strain the cooked potatoes from the water. Place the potatoes in the duck fat herb mixture. Toss and stir to coat the potatoes.
- With a slotted spoon, place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet (for easy clean-up line the baking sheet with foil).
- With the back of a spatula, or a large spoon, press down on the center of the potatoes until they are “smashed.” Continue to do this with every potato.
- Drizzle the leftover duck fat, herb and salt mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, or until the tops are slightly crispy. Serve immediately.
Baked, roasted, mashed or fried. Grilled, simmered or even smashed.
It wasn’t until I was older when I realized the diversity of a spud outside of a baked potato. I was initially mesmerized by the roasted red potato and it was all I cooked.Then I was introduced to the little potato that’s smashed, and everything changed.
Boil small potatoes until they are easily pierced with a fork. Strain the water, coat the potatoes with oil, place the potatoes on a baking sheet and smash with a back of a flat spoon.
The combination of these two ingredients turned a rustic, comforting meal into something decadent– yet still easy and approachable. I’m always looking for a new type of potato to try. When I came across Tasteful Selections and their Honey Gold potato I was excited.
My first observation was that these golden girls were pre-washed, so they were ready to be used the moment I opened the bag. It made the prep stage even easier. Plus, on busy nights when I’m juggling dinner and family time, this recipe combined with Tasteful Selections allows me to do what I really want, which is spend time with my people.Once boiled and smashed I was mesmerized by the color. The gold popped even more when the potato was roasted.
My happiness with these potatoes extended beyond the beautiful meal of Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes. The overall quality of the product was outstanding.The outside of the potato crisped up well while the inside stayed incredibly creamy. Tasteful Selections Honey Gold potatoes were made to be paired with duck fat and turned into a unforgettable (and addictive) weeknight side-dish.
P.S. Tasteful Selections wants to make your kitchen a little more pleasant not only with their wonderful potatoes, but also with instructional online cooking videos, recipes and a sweepstakes for a kitchen remodel. Click here to visit their website. Who knows, you may be eating Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes in a brand new kitchen very soon. Happy cooking and entering!Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Tasteful Selections. All opinions are my own and I appreciate your support of the brands/companies that I love.