Manwich with Caramelized Onions and White Cheddar Cheese
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 cup onion, rough chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, rough chopped
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
caramelized onions (see recipe below)
- Heat the broiler to 500 degrees.
- Combine the oil, onion and bell pepper into a sauce pan and cook over medium heat.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, butter, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and kosher salt. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and cook for an additional two to three minutes.
- Place chicken into a bowl and add enough sauce to cover the chicken, but not soak it.
- On one side of the bun, add chicken mixture and top with slices of cheese. On the other bun, add caramelized onions. Continue this process until the buns and chicken have been used.
- Place the two sides of the buns on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Broil until the cheese is melted and the buns browned.
- Place the two sides together and serve warm.
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a skillet, add the oil, 1/2 of the onion slices and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add another layer of the remaining onions and salt.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 40 to 45 minutes (or until the onions have caramelized), stirring occasionally.