Chicken Noodle Soup
1 whole chicken
1 onion, quartered
1 carrot, peeled halved
1 celery, halved
16 cups water (4 quarts)
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup linguine, broken into thirds
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the chicken, onion, carrots, celery and water into a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, uncovered. Let simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours.
- Remove the chicken, onion, carrot and celery. Increase the heat and bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the salt and linguine to the stock. cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Decrease heat to low.
- Meanwhile, cut the onion, carrots and celery into bite sized pieces (or the preferred sized). Shred the chicken, and reserve 2 to 2 1/2 cups of meat.
- Once the noodles are cooked, add the butter, chicken and vegetables into the pan. Stir and let warm through for five minutes.
- Serve warm.