Didn’t finish all the steak last night? Roasted cauliflower still not eaten? Leftover chicken? Only cheese and tortillas in the fridge?
What about eggs?
Glad you asked.Eggs are a perfect addition to the quesadilla formula. Combine scrambled goodness with crispy bacon, cheese and maybe some green chiles or avocado slices. Serve warm topped with cilantro and sides of sour cream and salsa.Breakfast quesadillas have become a regular in A Pleasant Little Kitchen because they are a tasty, satisfying meal that no one complains about. Plus, quesadilla fillings and toppings can be individualized to each eater’s taste, which helps us out. My family tends to be very opinionated about their food… who would have thought?A few other reasons I love breakfast quesadillas:
- It works for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
- The whole family can get involved with the cooking process (like cracking and scrambling the eggs, and building the quesadillas).
- Scrambled eggs and bacon can be cooked ahead of time for a quick dinner prep.
- Leftover quesadillas make great packed lunches for littles the next day.
cooked bacon, rough chopped
Mexican style shredded cheese
salsa, optional topping
sour cream, optional topping
- Heat a medium sized skilled over medium heat.
- Place one tortilla into the skillet. Add a layer of cheese, then a layer of scrambled eggs, then a layer of chopped bacon. Top with a final layer of shredded cheese.
- Place a second tortilla on top of the egg and cheese layers. Cook until the bottom layer tortilla is golden brown. With a spatula, carefully flip the quesadilla. Cook the remaining side until golden brown.
- Put the quesadilla onto a cutting board and let cool for 3-4 minutes, then quarter. Serve warm with a side of salsa and sour cream.