for the filling
3 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
pinch of kosher salt
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir and cover. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid, stir the mixture and increase the heat to medium or medium-high. Cook for 35-45 minutes (the cherries should maintain a steady boil). Stir frequently to prevent burning. When the mixture is reduced, thickened and coats the back of a spoon it is finished cooking.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge.
for the whipped cream
1/2 cup crème fraiche
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place a mixing bowl (stainless steel preferred) in the fridge and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Once the bowl is chilled, remove it from the fridge and place all ingredients into the bowl.
- With an electric mixer whip the cream mixture on medium until peaks form.
- Place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
for the tarts
whipped vanilla cream
- Follow the pastry shells baking instructions. Let cool.
- Add the cherry filling to the baked shells. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Serve chilled.