Roasted Saffron Yogurt Chicken Drumsticks
32 ounces plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons saffron threads, crumbled
3 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
zest of 2 lemons
2 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
cilantro garlic vinegar, for topping (see recipe below)
- Place all ingredients, except for the chicken and cilantro garlic vinegar, into a large bowl or glass baking pan. Stir well to combine.
- Place the chicken into the yogurt marinade and make sure it is covered (and coated) on all sides. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- 30 minutes before roasting, remove the chicken from the fridge. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a cooling rack on top of the foil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and tap off excess yogurt. Place the chicken on the cooling rack (which is on the baking sheet).
- Place the chicken into the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes, turning the drumsticks every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with cilantro garlic vinegar.
for the cilantro garlic vinegar
2/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
pinch of koshers salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl. Stir well and let sit for at least 1 hour.