Instant Pot Charro Bean Soup
1 pound pinto beans, soaked over night
1 1/2 cups bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 bunch of cilantro, rough chopped
chopped cilantro, for toppings
sour cream, for toppings
queso fresco, for topping
lime wedges, for topping
- Place the bacon, onions, garlic and jalapenos in the Instant Pot and using the sauté feature, cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and brown for about 1 minute. Stir constantly.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and add the chicken stock, oregano, cumin, salt and bay leaf. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beans and stir.
- Place the lid on top and cook on soup mode for 7 minutes.
- Once the cook time is finished, immediately turn off the Instant Pot. Set a timer for 20 minutes for a natural pressure release.
- After 20 minutes release any remaining steam.
- Remove lid. Add the vinegar and cilantro, stir to combine
- Serve warm ungarnished or with toppings and warm tortillas.