Salmon Burgers with Horseradish Cream, Green Onions and Green Apples
2 pounds salmon, skin removed and deboned
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 rosemary sprigs, leaves removed
zest of 1-2 lemons
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 bunches green onions, ends trimmed off and the green parts halved
3 green apples, thinly sliced
slider buns, toasted
horseradish cream, for topping (see recipe below)
- Cut the salmon into large chunks. Place in a food processor with the salt, mayonnaise, rosemary leaves and lemon zest. Pulse 10-12 times.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Make 6 inch wide patties with the salmon mixture. Place on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- In a skillet, heat the canola oil over moderately high heat. Once the pan is thoroughly heated and the oil shimmering, add the salmon patties to the skillet (about 3 to 4 patties, depending on the size of the skillet).
- Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes per side, for a total of 6-8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- While the patties are cooking, add the green onions in small batches. Cook until they are softened and browned. Set aside.
- Add a generous smear of horseradish cream to a toasted bun, top with a salmon patty, a handful of green onions and apple slices.
for the horseradish cream
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3/4 cups whipped cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.