2 pounds 85/15 grass fed beef
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 cup pork rinds
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
mild cheddar slices, for topping
spicy yellow mustard, for topping (recipe below)
- Place a cast iron flattop griddle on the grill. Heat the grill to 350-450 degrees.
- Meanwhile, place the pork rinds into a food processor and puree until a bread crumb consistency is developed.
- Combine the beef, salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire, mayonnaise, pork rind crumbs and egg into a large bowl. With your hands combine the meat mixture.
- Form into 2 1/2 inch round balls and place on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Place 2 tablespoons butter on the griddle. Once the butter is melted, create a small pile of onions for each burger you plan to cook.
- Then add the meat balls on top of the onions. With a spatula (or a hamburger press) smash the patty. Cook for 1 minute and flip. Place the cheese on top of the patty and cook the remaining side for an additional minute.
- Remove the patties from the grill and continue this process until all meat balls have been cooked.
- Add the bun halves to the griddle, and cook interior side facing down.
- Once the buns are golden, add a hearty smear of mustard to the buns and add one to two patties to each bun. Serve warm.
For the spicy yellow mustard
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon if you want more heat)
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl. Stir to combine.