Roasted Eggplant and Bell Pepper Chilled Soup
Author note: This recipe can also be found at The Dallas Morning News.
2 green bell pepper
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and quartered
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup mint leaves (lightly packed)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves (lightly packed)
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 jalapeno sliced
juice of 1 lemon
- Place the oven rack to the top level. Turn on broiler to 500 degrees.
- Place the bell peppers and eggplant on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Remove the bell pepper and place in an airtight container.
- Continue to broil the eggplant for an additional 10 minutes. Remove the eggplant and set aside.
- Let the bell pepper and eggplant cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the eggplant on a rimmed cutting board. Slice the eggplant (lengthwise) in half. Scoop out the interior of the eggplant and place in a food processor.
- Remove the skins, stem and seeds from the bell peppers. Place the bell peppers into the food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor and puree until a smooth consistency is developed.
- Place the soup into an airtight bowl and store in the fridge for at least two hours or until chilled.
- Serve chilled with torn mint leaves.