2 15 ounce cans of pumpkin puree
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons half and half
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 boxes frozen puff pastry shells
whipped cream (see below for recipe)
cinnamon sugar (see below for recipe)
- Bake the puff pastries according to the directions on the back of the box. Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan combine the remaining ingredients and cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent browning.
- Spoon in the spiced pumpkin filling into the puff pastries. Top with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled the next day.
For the Whipped Cream
Author note: This whipped cream can be made 24 hours in advance
1 cup cream
1/2 cup crème fraiche
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place a stainless steel bowl (or the preferred mixing bowl) in the fridge and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Once the bowl is chilled, remove it from the fridge and place all ingredients in the bowl.
- With a whipping attachment, whip the cream mixture on medium until peaks form.
- Place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
For the Cinnamon Sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Place the sugar and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the cinnamon stick into the cinnamon sugar. Store in an airtight container.