Flank Steak and Wild Mushroom Pot Pie
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup flank steak pan sauce
5 thyme sprigs, tied
2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced (bite sized pieces)
1 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
2 1/2 cups shitake mushrooms, diced
2 cups slow cooker red wine flank steak (click here for recipe) cut into chunks
2 piece of pre-made pie dough, rolled out to fit a 9 inch round pie pan
- Fill a large pan with water and bring to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, take one layer of rolled pie dough and place on the bottom of the pie pan. Bake according to the pie dough directions. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the crust bakes, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the butter and onions. Cook until golden, about 8-10 minutes. Continue to whisk frequently to prevent burning.
- Place the chicken stock and cream into a bowl and heat in the microwave for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock mixture and flank steak pan sauce into the skillet until well combined. Add the thyme bundle to the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Stir frequently.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven on to 450 degrees.
- Add the peas, mushrooms and steak into the sauce. Stir well and let warm through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the baked shell, then cover with the remaining piece of dough. Make a small X in the center of the pie dough, to allow the pie to vent while cooking.
- Baste the top of the pie dough with egg wash.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown.
- Serve warm with mashed potatoes (click here for recipe).