Short Ribs Adovada
5 pounds bone in short ribs
3 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups low-sodium beef stock
2 cups chili water (see recipe below)
1 12 ounce can of chipotles with adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon honey
1 bay leaf, quartered
- One hour before cooking, remove the meat from the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With 2 teaspoons of salt, evenly season the short ribs on all sides.
- Open the can of chipotles and remove half of the chiles. Set the can aside to use later.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over high on the stove top. Once hot add the short ribs and brown for 2 minutes per side, for a total of 4 minutes, and set aside. This should be done in 2 batches.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the onions and garlic and off at the heat for two minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the pan back to the stovetop.
- Pour the beef stock into the pan and deglaze. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chili water, half of the chipotle chilies with all the sauce from the can, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, cloves, oregano, cumin, honey, and bay leaf to the pan. Stir well.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the short ribs back into the pan. Cover and place in the oven. Cook at 350 degrees for two hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Remove the short ribs from the pan and place on a rimmed cutting board. Cover the short ribs with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, skim off the fat that has collected on top of the cooking sauce.
- Serve the short ribs with rice topped with adovada sauce and chopped cilantro.