3 cups whole milk
3 teaspoons cream
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons strawberry syrup (see recipe below)
- Combine all ingredients into a pitcher. Stir or shake well. Serve chilled with or without ice.
for the strawberry syrup
Author note: The strawberries can be saved to be used as jam.
1 1/2 pounds frozen strawberries, thawed
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place strawberries and all their juices into a medium-sized glass (or stainless steel) bowl. Stir in the sugar. Place plastic wrap over the top of the bowl and seal well.
- Fill a small sauce pan 1/2 inch full of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Place the bowl on top of the sauce pan to create a double boiler (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl). Stew the strawberries for 1 hour. Stir once.
- Carefully remove the bowl from the pan. Place the bowl into an ice bath and stir the vanilla extract into the strawberries. Let the strawberries cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain the syrup into a container. Continue to let the syrup come to room temperature and then place in the fridge. The syrup lasts for up to two weeks.