Red White and Blue Mini Cakes
Author note: I like to use sprayable white cake frosting for these mini cakes. Keep in mind that the food coloring will vary depending upon what brand is used. Each brand varies. Add more or less coloring to the cake batter to achieve the desired tone. If you do not have a 3 inch pastry cutter, use the top of a drinking glass or a canning jar lid.
2 boxes white cake mix
90 drops red food coloring
90 drops blue food coloring
- Heat the oven according to the cake directions.
- Prepare 1 box of cake batter per the instructions. Add the blue food coloring to the mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Spray a rimmed 12×16 rimmed baking sheet with canola oil. Pour the blue cake batter into the sheet pan. Spread the batter evenly throughout the pan.
- Prepare the 2nd box of cake batter per the instructions. Add the red food coloring into the mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Spray a rimmed 12×16 baking sheet with canola oil. Pour the red cake batter into the sheet pan. Spread the batter evenly throughout the pan.
- Place both sheet pans into the oven, one on the top rack, another on the third rack. Bake according to the directions on the back of the box.
- Remove the cakes from the oven once they are cooked all the way through, between 20-30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes
- Using a 2 inch wide circle pastry cutter. Cut out round cake pieces.
- Take a blue cake circle and add a layer of white frosting to the top. Take a red cake circle and place on top of the icing. Top the red, white and blue cake with frosting and patriotic sprinkles. Continue this process until all cake circles are used.