Instant Pot Carnitas Loaded Fries
16 ounce bags frozen French fries
Instant Pot Green Chile Carnitas, see recipe below
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
red or green onions, chopped
poached eggs, optional topping
- Cook the french fries according to the instructions.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cooked french fries onto a large rimmed baking sheet and create two to three layers of fries.
- Generously cover the french fries with a layer of cheese. Place a generous amount of carnitas on top of the cheese. Repeat this step one more time. Place a final topping of cheese over the last layer of carnitas.
- Place the french fries into the oven. Cook for 10 minutes or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and slightly browned.
- Top the french fries with 3 poached eggs, dollops of sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro and green onions (and any additional favorite toppings). Serve immediately.
for the Instant Pot Carnitas
4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 1/2 to 3 inch pieces
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups canned green chilies (about 3 4 ounce cans)
5 garlic cloves, crushed
12 ounce bottle of lager beer
2 1/2 cups water
- Place the pork on a rimmed plastic cutting board and evenly distribute 2 teaspoons of kosher salt on top of the pork, coating all sides of the pork. Set aside. Allow the pork to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place the pork into the Instant Pot. Cover the pork with the chilies, garlic, beer, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and water.
- Secure the lid on top of the instant pot. Cook with high-pressure for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of cook time, turn off the Instant Pot. Use the natural pressure release method and release any remaining steam after 15 minutes.
- Heat a broiler to 500 degrees.
- Place the pork on a rimmed baking sheet. Let the carnitas rest for five minutes.
- Lightly shred the carnitas and top with a generous amount of sauce from the Instant Pot.
- Place the carnitas in the oven and broil for 8 to 12 minutes, or until the outside of the carnitas becomes lightly browned and crispy. Stir, baste and shred the carnitas every three to four minutes.
- Remove the carnitas from the oven.
- Meanwhile, using the sauté feature bring the pan sauce to a boil and let boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the Instant Pot and place in a container. Bring to room temperature.
- Pour some of the remaining sauce over the carnitas to store in an airtight container in the fridge or in the freezer.