Coconut-Ginger Mushroom Soup
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup shallots, diced (skins and ends set aside)
3 1-inch pieces of fresh ginger, skins removed
3 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped (be sure to remove the stalks and set aside to be used for the mushroom stock)
3 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped (be sure to remove the stalks and set aside to be used for the mushroom stock)
5 cups chicken stock (see recipe below)
2 cups mushroom stock (see recipe below)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 fresh sage leaves
4 fresh basil leaves
handful parsley stems
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons coconut oil, ginger and shallots. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and add the shittake mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook for five minutes, stir occasionally.
- Move the cooked shiitake mushrooms to the side of the pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to the middle of the pan and let melt. Once the coconut oil is melted add the oyster mushrooms to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Using kitchen twine, tie the herbs and parsley stems together. Place the herbs into the mushrooms. Stir well.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add 1 cup of strained mushroom stock to the mushrooms, let reduce almost entirely (similar to cooking risotto). Repeat this step with the remaining 1 cup of mushroom stock. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add chicken stock and 1 teaspoon salt to the mushroom mixture. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove herbs and 2 pieces of ginger.
- Add the coconut milk and vinegar to the soup. Warm through for 5 minutes.
- Salt to taste and serve warm. If a smooth pureed soup is desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender, food processor or blender to desired consistency. Serve warm.
For the Mushroom Stock
mushroom stalks from 3 cups of shiitake mushrooms
mushroom stalks from 3 cups of oyster mushrooms
1 shallot, halved
scraps of 1/2 cup of shallots (from Coconut Ginger Mushroom Soup)
4 cups water
- Place all ingredients into a small saucepan. Over high heat bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let cook until reduced by half, about 1 hour.
- Strain the stock from the mushrooms and shallots. Use as directed.
For the Chicken Stock
3 lbs bone-in chicken pieces
1 onion quartered
16 cups water
- Place all ingredients into a large stock pan. Over high heat bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Strain the stock from the chicken and onions. Use as directed.