Broiled Asparagus with Pickled Red Onions and Soft-Boiled Eggs
2 bundles asparagus, thick bottom stalk removed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
pickled red onions (see recipe below)
Manchego or gruyere cheese, cut into strips
French baguette, sliced and toasted
- Heat the broiler to 550 degrees.
- Place the asparagus on a foil lined sheet pan. Pour the olive oil and the salt on top of the asparagus. Using tongs, turn the asparagus to coat.
- Place the asparagus into the oven and broil, 6-10 minutes. Remove when asparagus have reached the desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to boil. Place the eggs into the boiling water and boil for 9 minutes. Immediately remove the eggs and place into an ice bath. Cool for 4 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice in half.
- Place the asparagus and boiled eggs onto a platter. Serve with pickled red onions, manchego or gruyere cheese, Dijon and crusty bread.
for the Pickled Red Onions
1 cup white distilled vinegar
2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red onions, halved and sliced
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and sugar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the salt and sugar has dissolved.
- Place the red pepper flakes, garlic cloves and red onions into a large canning jar. Pour the vinegar mixture over the onions and bring to room temperature. Seal with a lid and store in the fridge.