Asparagus and Bell Pepper Couscous Salad
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 bunch of asparagus (woody end removed), cut into bite sized pieces
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup uncooked Pearl Couscous
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a skillet and warm over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the bell pepper. Continue to cook for an additional 4 minutes (or until the asparagus is tender, but not soft). Remove from the heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, warm a saucepan of 1 1/2 cups of water over high heat. Bring to a boil. Add the 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt to the water and the couscous. Bring to a simmer and cover. Once cooked (about 10-12 minutes) stir in the red wine vinegar.
- Pour the couscous onto a sheet pan. Let the couscous cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Combine the couscous and the vegetables. Place into the fridge and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Before service, add the goat cheese, red pepper flakes and basil into the bowl. Toss to combine and serve chilled. Add additional basil, goat cheese and salt to taste.