Powdered Doughnut Ice Cream Sandwiches
- vanilla ice cream
- white powdered donuts
- 2 bottles of red, white and blue sprinkles
- blue and red cupcake frosting
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes.
- Pour half of one bottle of sprinkles onto a small plate. Create an even layer of sprinkles.
- Meanwhile, slice the donuts in half (hamburger style) and set aside. Place a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet into the freezer.
- Working with one donut at a time, place a small scoop of ice cream into the sprinkles. Roll the ice cream with a spoon or your fingers to thoroughly coat.
- Place the sprinkled ice cream scoop on top of one sliced donut half. Place a second donut half on top of the ice cream. Gently press the down on the donut. Immediately place into the freezer. Repeat these steps until all donuts are filled. Remember to work quickly. If the ice cream begins to melt, place back into the freezer to harden.
- Let the ice cream harden in the freezer for about 2 hours. Pipe blue and red frosting onto the top of the donut and place back into the freezer until service time.
The amount of the powdered donuts and ice cream used is dependent upon how many people you intend to serve. I have noticed that my small children like eating 2 of these sandwiches, while my husband could eat 3-4. Your fingers and hands will get messy when making these sweet treats. Have a dish towel handy to help control the mess.