Bologna Meatballs in Red Sauce
This will make around 22 to 25 2-inch sized meatballs. The saltiness of the meatballs will be determined on the type of bologna used. You will need a large stock pot or Dutch oven to make this recipe. The meatballs and sauce are freezer friendly.
Servings: 22 meatballs
for the meatballs
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 lb bologna, outer casing removed, and cut into cubes
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp rosemary leaves, rough chopped
- red sauce, see recipe below
- grated parmesan, for topping
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Place the onion into the food processor. Blitz until the onion is throughly chopped.
- In a food processor, place the bologna, pork, bread crumbs, parmesan, egg, pepper, salt, vinegar and rosemary. Blitz until thoroughly combined.
- Using a 2-inch ice cream scoop, scoop individual meatballs and place into the stock pot of simmering red sauce. Cover and cook until meatballs reached 165 degrees, about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve the meatballs with your favorite pasta, topped with the red sauce, grated parmesan and chopped fresh basil leaves.
for the red sauce In a large stock pot, add 3 28 ounce-can crushed tomatoes, 1 cup water, 1 onion (halved), 3 garlic cloves (crushed), 3/4 cup carrots (diced), 1/2 cup celery (diced), 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 tsp kosher salt and 3 sprigs basil leaves (tied together). Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove onions and basil before serving.