Brown Sugar, Olive Oil and Red Wine Roasted Pears
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1/4 lemon
- Pecorino Romano, sliced into thin bite-sized pieces
- kosher salt, for topping
- honey, for topping
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, olive oil, wine, vanilla extract and pinch of salt. Stir well to combine. Once the pears are peeled, halved and cored, rub the exposed flesh with the lemon half. This is to prevent browning.
- Add the pears to the sugar mixture and thoroughly coat the pears.
- Place the pears in a baking dish and pour half of the brown sugar mixture over the pears. Reserve the other half for after roasting. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the pears back into the sugar mixture. Coat well. Remove the pears, top with a sprinkling of kosher salt, drizzles of honey and Pecorino. Serve warm.
These pears are delicious as a salty and sweet dessert or, when sliced, as a nice salad topper.