Cinnamon Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 24 hours before making ice cream with an electric ice-cream maker, place the freezer bowl in the freezer. Check your ice cream maker manual for specific instructions.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the cream, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon extract on medium-low for 15 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally and not to let it boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the yolks and sugar. With a whisk, break the yolks and combine with the sugar.
- Remove the liquid from the stovetop and temper the yolk mixture. To temper the yolks, whisk the eggs quickly while slowly adding the warm liquid (about 1/4 cup at a time) until all the liquid is combined. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge. Let it chill for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Place the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and mix for 20 minutes, or until the ice cream is thickened to the desired consistency. Serve immediately for soft serve, or place in a freezer safe container and freeze for a firmer texture.
Add a shot of espresso (or very strong coffee) to a scoop of cinnamon ice cream to make a cinnamon affogato (click here for recipe).