Lemon Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 7-8 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 24 hours before making ice cream with an electric ice-cream maker, place the freezer bowl in the freezer. Check your ice cream maker manual for specific instructions.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the cream, milk, lemon extract, vanilla extract and lemon zest on medium-low for 15 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally and not to let it boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, add the yolks and sugar. With a whisk, break the yolks and combine with the sugar.
- Remove the liquid from the stovetop and quickly strain the liquid into a large measuring cup. Working quickly, temper the yolk mixture. To temper the yolks, whisk the eggs quickly while slowly adding the warm liquid (about 1/4 cup at a time) until all the liquid is combined.
- Once the yolks have been tempered, add the freshly squeezed lemon juice and stir well to combine.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge. Let it chill for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Place the ice cream mixture into the ice cream maker and mix for 20 minutes, or until the ice cream is thickened to the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately for soft serve, or place in a freezer safe container and freeze for a firmer texture.