- 1 bottle red wine, I prefer an Old Vine Zin
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced open
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 strips of lemon peel, about 3 inches,
- 3 strips of orange peel, about 3 inches,
- brandy, rum or whiskey to top
- Combine all ingredients except whiskey, into a large saucepan. Warm through gently for 15-17 minutes. Serve warm with a splash or two of brandy.
The beauty of mulled wine is that you can be creative with the flavors you add. Choose from star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks, all spice to an arrangement of herbs and other spices. Have fun and don’t forget a splash (or two) of liquor at the end.