Asparagus Tarragon Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds of asparagus, ends trimmed and stalks cut into thirds
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tarragon leaves
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- fresh mint leaves, torn, for topping
- In a large pot, add the butter and warm over medium heat until melted. Add onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the asparagus and salt, stir well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Pour the chicken stock into the pan and increase the heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the tarragon and stir.
- In batches, add the soup into a food processor. Puree until the texture is smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan. Add the cream and lemon zest. Heat through, or if the soup appears too watery, continue to simmer until the soup has reduced and thickened. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Serve warm with torn mint leaves.
This soup is freezer friendly, however if planning to freeze, omit the cream until the soup is thawed and warming up.