Browned Butter Asparagus
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 12 ounce bundles of asparagus, ends trimmed, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- zest of 2 lemons
- In a medium-sized skillet, brown the butter (melt butter on medium heat, and continue to cook until it’s golden brown), about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shallots, asparagus, salt and red pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the asparagus is cooked to the desired consistency. Stir once or twice. Add the red wine vinegar and reduce for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat, add lemon zest and stir to incorporate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe takes about 10 minutes to cook. It’s perfect for a weeknight side dish. I typically chop my vegetables while the butter is browning. This recipe is easily halved for a smaller serving size. Feel free to reduce the amount or omit the red pepper flakes if a spicy flavor is not desired.