Instant Pot Rosemary Chicken White Bean Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup shallots, or onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound great northern beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf, torn into four pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- Tie two pairs of rosemary sprigs with kitchen twine. Set aside.
- Add the oil, garlic, shallots, carrots, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 pair of rosemary sprigs into the Instant Pot. Using the sauté feature, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the garlic cloves and rosemary.
- Add the beans to the Instant Pot. Stir to coat with the rosemary infused oil.
- Add the water, chicken stock, rosemary sprigs (the second tied pair) bay leaf and red pepper flakes to the beans. Stir well to combine.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and using the soup feature, cook the bean soup for 7 minutes.
- After the seven minutes of cook time, turn off the Instant Pot. Let the pressure release naturally for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes release any remaining pressure. Once the pressure is released, remove the lid. Stir in the red wine vinegar and chicken.
- Wait five minutes and serve warm with crusty bread.
If you forgot to soak the beans, no problem. Increase the pressure cook time to 35 minutes. This soup is freezer friendly. Typically I use a rotisserie chicken from the local market for this recipe.