Prosciutto Wrapped Apples
Keep in mind, you will have more apples and cheese than prosciutto. Pre-packaged prosciutto comes in quantities of 3 to 4 ounces. If you’re serving a crowd, be sure to grab at least 3 packages of prosciutto. This recipe is make-ahead friendly. The apples will be soaked in honey water for five minutes before preparation. Honey is acidic, which will keep the apples from browning. Once the apples are wrapped in prosciutto, place in an airtight container, or cover tightly with plastic wrap on a serving platter. Place in the fridge and remove before service.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups water
- 2 Fuji, Pink Lady or Honey Crisp Apples
- 1 block gruyere cheese, cut into slices
- 2 3- ounce packages of prosciutto
- fresh rosemary sprigs, for serving
- In a large measuring cup, combine the honey and water. Set aside. Cut the apples into medium to large slices. Place the apples into a bowl and cover with the honey water. Let sit for five minutes. Strain the water from the apples.
- Place an apple onto the end piece of a prosciutto slice. Lay a slice of cheese on top of or next to the apple. Keeping all three ingredients together, roll until completely covering the apple with prosciutto. Continue this process until all the prosciutto slices are used.
- Lay a few rosemary sprigs onto a serving platter. Place the prosciutto wrapped apples onto the platter and scattered any remaining apple and cheese slices to surround the hors d’oeuvres. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and place into the fridge to chill before service.