Pizza Puff Rolls
Servings: 20 puffs
- puff pastry, thawed
- basic tomato sauce, see below for recipe
- shredded mozzarella
- dried oregano
- other favorite toppings like cooked and crumbled ground beef or sausage
- 1 egg
for the Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 can 28oz crushed tomatos
- 1 onion, halved
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- kosher salt, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the puff pastry on a cutting board (unwrapped and unfolded). Evenly distribute one layer of tomato sauce on top of the pastry. Add a layer of cheese and any other topping you would like. Lightly dust the top with dried oregano.
- Starting with one end, tightly roll-up the dough (like a jelly roll). Once tightly rolled make sure the seam is facing down.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk. Using a pastry brush, brush the top and sides of the pizza roll with the egg wash. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Basic Tomato Sauce
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the onion. Salt to taste. Use on pizza or pasta.
The basic tomato sauce is slightly tweaked version of Marcella Hazan’s Basic Tomato Sauce. Store bought tomato sauce also works for this recipe.