Hatch Green Chile Jam
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups roasted and peeled Hatch green chiles (click here for instructions), roughly chopped
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup amber beer (I prefer Shiner Bock)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium-sized skilled, cook the onion and garlic in the canola oil over medium heat until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chiles, salt and cumin and stir well. Continue to cook for three to five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the beer into the chile mixture and deglaze the pan. Let the beer reduce for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat once the liquid has mostly evaporated (but some remains). Place the jam into a food processor and pulse to the desired texture. Salt to taste.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.